Total Pageviews

Choose language: Spanish, French, Russian I have checked.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

JENNY KNOWLEDGE (POEM)

12/9/01

In the cabin, my dog hovers close
after dinner of beef loin cooked in foil
in the wood stove, yuppie salad, polenta
fried in butter, kalamata olives,
Mouton Cadet Bordeaux, 1997. She wants
scraps and pets. Now

she snaps her head toward winter’s draft
seeping around the door, fidgets her nose,
barks. I scratch her butt, say, “You
know things I don’t know.” She woofs
again. “And I know things you don’t know.”

I am jolted by my own words. Then: “Jenny,”
 “I’m glad you don’t know what I know.”

She goes to her bed by the stove, does her
downward spiral doggy dance, tumbles into
sleep. My words end; thoughts ramble on:

I’m glad you have not heard the shriek
of Gloria, whose infant daughter has just now
been given up for lost by us, who searched the river
and woods through afternoon and night. I’m glad
you don’t know the sharp snap
of an AK-47 round breaking the sound barrier
as it passes your ear. I’m glad you don’t know
the smell of burning  napalm. I’m glad you have not understood,
have not tried or needed to understand, the meaning
of the television image of a passenger jet
flying into a skyscraper.

I kneel by her bed, spread my hand on
her breathing side, trying to absorb
her innocence.                                                                        Dean Metcalf



No comments:

Post a Comment